Join us at Outdoor Photographers Network
The Outdoor Photographer's Network was founded to provide an online home for outdoor, nature and wildlife photographers of all abilities all over the world to share their work, experience and love of the outdoors. The Outdoor Photographer's Network is a friendly, welcoming community and we encourage you to join us and share your own perspective on outdoor photography. Register now - as a member, you will be able to share your own outdoor imagery for critique or enjoyment, take part in our outdoor photography competitions and participate in our photography discussion forums.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Full Frame or Cropped Sensor?

equipment

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

agongos

agongos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Main interest is shooting larger birds and animals, think Yellowstone. I have a cropped format camera body now and enjoy the reach it gives me with my longer lenses. Been toying with the idea of going to a full frame camera body, D700 or D800, and a 2x converter for my 400mm f2.8. So what about the two formats? One will give me more reach, but the other I'll be able to crop in post production. Ultimately, what will produce the best images?

Simon

Simon

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationYorkshire Dales, UK
  • Editing My ImagesNo
A D700 or D800 will give you better ISO performance (less noise) and a higher image 'quality' out of the camera than a crop sensor (this is just pure physics due to the increased sensor size). You might just have to get a little bit closer to get the image you want. However, there seems little point in buying a D800 then cropping away all the money you spent to get the image you could have got with your existing crop sensor camera. If you go full frame you might just need to improve your fieldcraft to gain the extra few yards to the subject and use all of that resolution and image quality to its potential.Personally I'd always much rather have a full frame sensor to give me the best raw image making performance and flexibility to go wide too.
  • agongos likes this
www.wilddales.co.uk

Wildlife Workshops and Red Squirrel Hide Hire in the Yorkshire Dales

Follow me at Twitter Facebook Page

John

John

OPN Founder

• Administrator
  • 4,294 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK
  • Editing My ImagesNo
In terms of the resulting data, it depends on how successful you will be in getting adequately close to your subjects and whether the lost pixels from the full frame camera leave you with less data than the pixels in the equivalent crop camera image (to answer the second question, you just need to do some maths).In terms of which camera is best for you, you also need to score each model on auto-focus speed, usability, portablity and other factors which matter to you... don't bother to score them on things you don't really care about because that will skew the result.

John Stuart-Clarke - Outdoor Photographer's Network Founder

website

Kiri

Kiri

NPH Co-Founder

• 2,792 posts
  • LocationNorfolk
  • Editing My ImagesNo
If you are thinking seriously about mammals, then from my experience of wolves in finland I'd say its all about reach, especially if you have a 400 and 2x rather than anything longer. Bear in mind your style of photography, if you love big sweeping contextual images with small subjects then you will be better off with full frame quality, if you prefer more intimate behavioural shots then you want more detail.

Alan Hewitt

Alan Hewitt

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland
  • Editing My ImagesNo
I am a recent D800 owner and used it exclusively on a recent Kenya trip. I often found myself alternating between the fx (full frame) mode and the dx (cropped) mode. It is a simple process of assigning this to the function button and using one of the command dials. In many respects it was like having two cameras in one -I've previously used D300 and D700 alternating between the two. I haven't quite made my mind up yet if it is easier to just use full frame and crop in post processing with more scope for creativity or use the dx mode which still returns a healthy 16mp. I often found the decision was made for me as dx can be a lot more forgiving if shutter speed is perhaps lower than one would like or adequate support is not available,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users